Are you diligent about moisturizing your face? And what about your hands? As the colder weather approaches we often think more about moisturizer to combat dry skin from the cold and the dry heat in our homes. And while this is truly something that should be done all year round, this is a good time to get into the habit of including moisturizing in your daily routine.
Here are 6 reasons why you should moisturize your skin:
- Moisturizers can prevent and treat dry skin. They hold water in the top layer of your skin and can act as a barrier to protect sensitive skin and improve skin tone and texture.
- Moisturize your face each morning with a product containing sunscreen – this is a good opportunity to as the saying goes, kill two birds with one stone. Keep your skin protected from the sun and the elements at the same time.
- As we age, the oil producing glands in our skin are less active. Use a moisturizer on your face to combat this fact.
- While dry skin may not lead to more wrinkles, it can make them more visible. Moisturizing your face will keep your skin looking its best.
- Dry legs and arms can be itchy, prevent the itch by moisturizing after your bath or shower. If itching persists, see your dermatologist to make sure there is not a more serious issue.
- Your hands are exposed to many irritants, germs and bacteria. Washing your hands is important to prevent spreading these germs and getting sick. But this may dry your hands. Also if your hands get too dry your skin may crack or bleed. This can lead to a greater opportunity for bacteria to cause a problem. That is why it is important to moisturize each time you wash your hands.
There are some skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis that can be mistaken as dry skin. If you are not sure whether your dry skin is a sign of something bigger, contact us and we will set an appointment for you.